My Crock Pot is one of my most treasured kitchen possessions. It makes my life so much simpler. I can just assemble something, let it cook all day, and walk into a delicious smelling apartment after work. There’s nothing like coming home to a home cooked meal that took minimal effort to prepare.
There is something about Fall and colder weather that makes me feel the need to Pinterest my little heart out. I feel as if I am becoming a slow cooker and soup recipes hoarder. This one sounded too delicious to pass up!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 large Yellow Onion
1 Red Bell Pepper
2 cloves of Garlic
1 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles (or Ro-tel)
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 1/2 pounds Chicken Breasts
1 can of Corn
1 can of Black Beans
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese*
1 cup of Sour Cream*
Tortilla Chips (optional)
*I used the fat free kind to lighten things up
1. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In the Crock Pot, add Ro-tel, chicken broth, chicken, corn, black beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and more salt and pepper. Add the sautéed onion mixture.
3. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
4. Remove chicken breasts and shred with a fork. Set aside.
5. Put sour cream in a separate bowl and mix in small amounts of soup broth. This will keep the sour cream from curdling.
6. Add sour cream mixture and chicken back into the soup. Mix in cheese.
7. Let cook for another 30 mins to 1 hour. If you want your soup to thicken up a bit, leave the lid off for the last 30 mins or so.
8. Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese. Add tortilla chips and avocado to garnish/make even more delicious.
The soup is best served alongside a cozy fire and snuggly pup!
Everyone in Texas knows that once the temperatures dip below 60 degrees, it’s fireplace weather!
Thanks for stopping by! See y’all next time…